Monday 16 August 2010

The next Thomas Roberton, my great great grandfather

Thomas seemed to be a popular name in the Roberton family. This Thomas, my great great grandfather was born in 1804 in Eastwood, Renfrewshire, Scotland. My father wrote this about him.

The record of my grandfather's birth shows that his parents were Thomas and Janet Roberton but I have been unable to obtain any further information at this time.
The IGI shows a Thomas Roberton/Janet Taylor were married 6 December 1825 at the parish of Eastwood.
They were both stated to be deceased on the certificate of their son's second marriage on 5 June 1874 but on the certificate for his first marriage only Janet Roberton is stated to be deceased. This means that Thomas Roberton my great grandfather died between 19th July 1870 and 5th June 1874.
In a 1851 census for the Parish of Eastwood, the head of the house is shown as Thomas Roberton, a widower aged 45, with two sons and 2 daughters. The youngest son is a Thomas aged 10 and this age makes it possible that the son was my grandfather who was born in 1841. If this is true it would mean that the head of the house was my great grandfather and that my great grandmother, Janet Taylor, was dead at that time.
The names of the children (Margaret, Euphemia, Charles, Thomas) seemed to connect with the future members of my family.
The IGI at Huddersfield included the following entries for the parish of Eastwood:


30 May
1799
Roberton Thomas
Euphemia Hall
HM

13 October
1799
Roberton James
Thomas Roberton/ Euphemia Hall
MB


15 March
1801
Roberton John
Thomas Roberton/ Euphemia Hall
MB


26 September
1802
Roberton Archibold
Thomas Roberton/ Euphemia Hall
MB


1 December
1804
Roberton Thomas
Thomas Roberton/ Euphemia Hall
MB
The date of birth of the youngest son relates closely with the 45 quoted as the age of the house in the 1851 census. In which case the Thomas Roberton and Euphemia Hall married on 30th May 1799 would have been my great great grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment